Today we arrived in Chattanooga, TN. It's quite a groovy little town. Lots of cool architecture, funky restaurants, and, of course, Rock City and Ruby Falls (which we'll be visiting tomorrow). We took a ride up Lookout Mountain on the Incline Railway and followed that up with a self-guided walking tour around Chattanooga.
The Incline Railway ride is quite dramatic, as the incline up the mountain is quite severe. At certain points along the ride it feels as if you could fall right out of your chair. It would have been a little less alarming if the front windows had been closed, but as it was a beautiful day, the conductor felt the need for fresh air and so he had the windows WIDE open. It added a little more suspense than I would have liked. And I think Scott was worried he was going to tumble out the window, all the way down the mountain. But I maintained a firm grasp on him, which he (for once) did not try to wriggle out of.
The view at the top of the mountain is pretty cool, but the [requisite] gift shop there is totally cheesy. Of course, the kids went ape for it, barely giving the view a second glance.
I think kids are born with what I refer to as the "Mom-Can-We-Have-This-Please-I-Really-Want-It-I-Can't-Live-Without-It" gene. A very animated and vocal reaction is triggered by proximity to cheap, easily breakable junk sold at astronomical prices in cheesy gift stores. But like my parents before me, I denied them their tchotchkies. But I did buy them Skittles, so it wasn't a total wash for them.
Tonight we are at a very nice commercial campground in Chattanooga, TN. The bathrooms are spotless, which is saying a lot when it comes to campgrounds. Spotless and air conditioned, quite the luxury. Tomorrow we will go the Tennessee Aquarium, Ruby Falls, and of course, see Rock City. And hopefully we'll be able to put on a performance here in the campground tomorrow night.
And speaking of concerts, yesterday morning we performed our first "road" church concert and it was awesome! We played for the congregation of the South Cherokee Baptist Church, in Woodstock, GA. The folks welcomed us warmly, and enjoyed the music so much that they've invited us to come back and play for them again on our way back home. After the service, they treated us to a terrific lunch at a local Mexican restaurant. Thanks, Carolyn, for the lunch, and thanks, too, to Holly, Pam, Nancy, Jamie, Donna and Dee for keeping us entertained at lunch. And thanks to Pastor Steven, Terry (the church pianist), and especially Judy, the church musical director, for letting us come and play for y'all. We can't wait to come back and play some more for you!
Sounds like a great start to wonderful journey...though you better save for the therapy your children will need as a result of you withholding tchotchke purchases. ;)
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm sure they'll have better stuff for the therapist than tchotchke deprivation. But it'll be an excellent place to start...
ReplyDelete